Rendition Reports (Shannon)
The reports listed below all confirm the use of Shannon airport by CIA planes involved in "extraordinary rendition" flights.
The Rendition Project
This website brings together and analyses the huge amount of data that exists about the rendition and secret detention programme, and to provide users with a comprehensive picture of how the system operated, how it evolved over time, and what happened to those subjected to years of illegal detention and torture.
- Summary of rendition circuits involving Shannon available here.
Globalizing Torture: CIA Secret Detention and Extraordinary Rendition
A report launched in early 2013 by the Open Society Justice Initiative names Ireland as one of the countries that participated in US rendition operations.
- Full report available here.
Council of Europe Reports
The Council of Europe is is an international organisation of 46 member states in the European region)
- Council of Europe, "Alleged Secret Detentions in Council of Europe Member States", January 2006.
- COE_ReportMarch06.pdf Secretary General’s report under Article 52 ECHR on the question of secret detention and transport of detainees suspected of terrorist acts, notably by or at the instigation of foreign agencies, March 2006.
- COE_RenditionReportJune06.pdf Alleged secret detentions and unlawful inter-state transfers involving Council of Europe member states Draft report – Part II (Explanatory memorandum), June 2006.
- COE_ReportAppendixJune06.pdf Flight Logs related to the previous report
- COE_SuppReportJune06.pdf Supplementary information related to this report
- COE_Resolution1507Jun06.pdf A 24 point resolution issued, June 2006.
- COE_RecommendationJune06.pdf A set of recommendation passed, 27 June 2006.
EU Parliament Temporary Committee on the alleged use of European countries by the CIA for the transportation and illegal detention of prisoners
- EU_submission.pdf The report presented to the committe by Edward Horgan detailing the involvement of Shannon airport and the Irish government's complicity, April 2006.
- MurrayHorganApril2006.pdf The transcript of Edward Horgan's presentation (Craig Murray also presented that day), April 2006.
- IHRC_Submission_EU_committee.pdf A submission made to the committee by the IHRC (Irish Human Rights Commission), November 2006.
- TDIPdraft_final_report_en.pdf The draft final report released by the committee, November 2006,
- FinalReportTDIP.pdf The final report from the committee, Jan 2007,
The Venice Commission is an advisory body of the Council of Europe, composed of independent members in the field of constitutional law.
- VeniceCommissionOpinion.pdf Their "Opinion On The International Legal Obligations Of Council Of Europe Member States In Respect Of Secret Detention Facilities And Inter-State Transport Of Prisoners", March 2006.
The EU Network of Independent Experts on Fundamental Rights
This network of experts was set up by the EU commission at the request of the European Parliament. It monitors the situayion of fundamental rights in the Member States of the EU on the basis of the Charteer of Funndamental Rights. In April 2006, the EU commission requested an opinion on the question of the alleged CIA activities in Europe.
- EU_Network_Experts_03_07.pdf "The Human Rights Responsibilities of the EU Member States in the Context of the CIA Activities in Europe "Extraordinary Renditions".
Reports and statements from other Human Rights Organisations
- Amnesty International, "Below the Radar", April 2006.
- IHRC_resolution.pdf The Irish Human Right Commission's (IHRC) "Resolution in relation to claims of US aircraft carrying detainees", December 2005.
- Amnesty Intrnational, "Breaking the Chain: Ending Ireland's Role in Renditions", June 2009.
Submissions to Irish and European Paliamentary Committees by Irish Peace Activists
- OireachtasCommittee.pdf Submission to the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Foreign Affairs, December 2005.
- TranscriptOireachtasCommittee.pdf The Official transcript of this committee meeting.
- EU_submission.pdf Submission to the European Parliament Temporary Committee on the alleged use of European countries by the CIA for the transportation and illegal detention of prisoners, Edward Horgan, April 2006.